4/8/2016 12:48:58 PM
The Professional Development Committee has been busy planning, offering, and assessing professional development sessions based upon the needs identified through PDC surveys, program review documents, and constituent meetings. Since the flex offerings organized in January, the Professional Development Committee has offered the following sessions:
• Teaching Men of Color, Kintay Johnson (Del Norte Campus)
• The Theory and Practice of Linking Courses and Team Teaching, George Potamianos and Pete Blakemore (Eureka Campus)
• Effective Communication Tools for Managers, Kerry Mayer, Crystal Morse, and Lisa Sayles (Eureka Campus)
• Beyond Basics: Enhancing Your Use of Canvas in the Classroom, Reno Giovannetti (Eureka Campus)
• Effective Communication Tools for Classified Staff Members, Kerry Mayer, Crystal Morse, and Lisa Sayles
• Active Shooter Training, Sheriff Sgt. Gene McManus and Rory Johnson, Friday, March 4 (Del Norte Campus)
• Brown Bag Book Discussion: Between the World and Me, Bill Allison and Kintay Johnson, Friday, March 11 (Eureka Campus)
• The Theory and Practice of Linking Courses and Team Teaching, George Potamianos and Pete Blakemore, Friday, March 25 (Eureka Campus)
• Understanding CR’s Collective Bargaining Agreements (for Managers), Crystal Morse, Pete Blakemore, and Mike Haley, Friday, April 8 (Eureka Campus)
Upcoming sessions for April include:
• Wednesday, April 13, Brown Bag Book Discussion: Between the World and Me (Ruthe Rhodes)
o 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
o DN34, Del Norte Campus
• Friday, April 15, Brown Bag Book Discussion: The Yellow Birds (Jacqui Cain and Crystal Morse)
o 12:30 – 2 p.m.
• Friday, April 15, Understanding Stereotype Threat (for STEM faculty and Staff only) (Deanna Herrera-Thomas and Philip Mancus)
o 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
• Friday, April 22, Retention, Persistence, Completion & Increasing Equity in the Community Colleges (Dr. Darrick Smith)
o Lecture: 10 – 11:00 a.m., New Theater
o Break out Session: 11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Room TBD
• Friday, April 29, Excel Overview for Classified Staff (Barbara Jaffari)
o 1 – 2:30 p.m.
Keep an eye out for email announcements of these sessions coming soon.
Committee members have also engaged in Evoq training so that they can revamp the Professional Development webpage which includes a Professional Development calendar that should make finding upcoming professional development offerings easier.
For questions about the work of the Professional Development Committee or to recommend a specific training session, feel free to contact co-chairs Crystal Morse or Kerry Mayer or your constituent representatives:
Classified Staff Representatives: Mark Bernards and Tatiana Robinson
Management Council Representatives: Kintay Johnson, Rory Johnson, and Laurel Watson
Faculty Representatives: Dan Calderwood and Wendy Riggs